Thursday, May 15, 2014

Offloaded in NAIA: Just Another Story

Is your first time to travel abroad? Have you experienced being offloaded by the Immigration Officer because they think you're not capable to travel? Is there a chance for you to travel at second attempt after being offloaded?

If you live here in the Philippines, that is mostly the case. Immigration Officers are one of the most difficult people to deal with. I heard a lot of stories wherein people were not able to go because BI Officer did not let them--- simply because they think they're just not capable to travel abroad. This is sick. So does it really take someone so rich to pass at Bureau of Immigration? But how would they know anyway? If they based it on your looks, job, or personality, then one must be a good con artist to be able to travel abroad.

I know someone who doesn't have a job here. His supposedly stay in Singapore was a gift. Unfortunately, the Immigration Officer stopped him from leaving because he didn't have a decent job here. He said he had his ATM and the Immigration Officer asked this person to check his balance and return to the line with a receipt. This is rubbish! The end of the story was, he wasn't able to go, the flight ticket was non refundable and so was his supposedly 3 day stay in a hotel.

I was offloaded once. I had a supposedly trip to Thailand for three days but they did not let me for three reasons; I didn't have a hotel booked. Second, I'm married and I would travel alone. I have baby I would leave home for that vacation.  Thirdly, I didn't have a return ticket so they thought I'd apply a job there. Well, their reasons were quite valid for not having a roundtrip ticket and a hotel. But their advice to me not to go on a vacation because I have a baby (even if I explained she had her nanny) and when they questioned me why my husband was not with me on this vacation was none of their business.Well, I was pissed off. My ticket was non refundable. About booking a hotel, I explained to them I had enough money to look for hotel when I got there. Still, they did not let me. The officer even asked my Diploma, educational background, and a lot of questions I did not suppose to answer because as far as I was concerned, it was not a job interview. Secondly, bringing my Diploma and any proof of my credentials was not necessary since I was taking my vacation. End of story: I was offloaded.

A month after that, I was afraid that I was blacklisted already. The officer left a note on their system that I was offloaded and according to the crew who helped me pick up my luggage, my record would stay on their file in the next six months or so.

So despite of all the risks, I booked again exactly a month after that offloading incident.  This time, I was with my husband. We had a round trip ticket, hotel voucher, so nothing should go wrong. Aside from one point which is; they saw my record being offloaded exactly a month ago.

So what did I do this time that made me pass on the BI Officer?

1. Outfit Matters--- but Personality Stands Out. I'd still advise you to wear a smart casual... not too casual. The first time I tried to be a tourist in Thailand, I was wearing a sweater, pants, and slippers. I was not confident at all because it was my first time to travel abroad. I felt like I had that invisible signboard hanged on my neck saying "Bully Me".  Yeah, it was such an embarrassing moment I couldn't forget. I was trying to be really polite but I guess I was too polite that I wasn't even able to justify my capability of travelling abroad. The ticket I had from PAL (Philippine Air Line) was non refundable and I ended up losing about $500 on my first try. So aside from dressing smart casual, make sure you wear something that makes you feel comfortable... that will make you feel good about yourself because it's easier to believe in someone who looks like he knows what he's saying. And don't forget to be very polite with them. I mean it. If they feel you are sarcastic, they would make everything difficult for you. So the second time around, I was wearing a simple white polo, jeans and flat decent shoes. I had my pearls as for my accessories, and guess what? They let me go even if I had a record of being offloaded on their system.

2. Make your Papers Ready--- Passport, Roundtrip Ticket, and Hotel Voucher.  These are the things you should prepare when travelling as a "tourist" in some Asian countries that don't require you a visa like Thailand, Hongkong, Singapore (and lately I heard Japan). Just give your passport and round trip ticket to the Immigration Officer, and only show the hotel Voucher if asked. The more you suffocate them with papers, the more they'd think you are so defensive. 

For Employed/ Self- Employed.
In case they ask about your work, be confident. Make it sound as if your salary is decent enough. In case they asked about how much money you have in cash, tell them so. Tell them you have your credit card with you and your ATM. They'd probably ask about your company ID; show them. If they asked about your Certificate of Employment (it's good to have it though I don't really think it is necessary) and they'd probably ask a proof of leave (this applies mostly for government employees), be sure you get one from your employer. They'd ask about your  educational background too and sometimes ask for your Diploma. Yes, this is too much (well, it depends on the BI interviewing you and how good you are at answering their questions). But in case you don't have your COE, Proof of Leave, or even School Diploma, they will still allow you to go as long as you have your company ID. If they insist that you should have your Diploma, COE and proof of leave from work, tell them you didn't bring them because it wasn't mentioned on their websites that it is a requirement for travelling to Thailand. Make your point that you would not go there to look for a job that's why you didn't bring your credentials. 

For Self Employed, just prepare a copy of business permit, ITR (if you have; if it's still new, just tell them so), just for your proof of income. The reason for them for asking these papers is because they wanna make sure you have a decent job here and you won't apply there.

For Unemployed
My husband had been 7 months here in the Philippines (he was an OFW) and I told them I'm a housewife so they saw that we didn't have a source of income. We were almost offloaded but we were able to convince them that it would be our first honeymoon. We told them the money we would spend was from our savings we earned when my husband was still working abroad as an OFW (we showed his passport). We had enough pocket money too. We had a roundtrip ticket and hotel voucher which was the only requirements we saw online through their website. End of story: they let us go.

3. It's not you're answer--- It's How You Answer. Calling them "Ma'am", "Boss," "Sir" before answering or asking a question would really help. I don't know. I'm used with first name basis because I had a very informal working environment as my previous bosses were Americans. But not when you are in the Philippines. For some reasons, they love it when you seem like patronizing them. Remember to sound casual... but polite. Once you're nervous, they'd think you are hiding something and it's gonna be so easy for them to ask you more questions that could make you feel even more nervous. Less talk, less mistake. Don't feed them with information that you think are unnecessary. It is important too to impress them. Projection. But not too much--- just convince them three things: you are capable, you know what you're doing, there's no reason for them to hold you're departure.

4. Reason out--- in a Most Humble Manner. When you think that they are being unreasonable, it's ok to reason out. But don't be rude. If they ask you about your Diploma, simply tell them you didn't know it was needed that's why you didn't bring one. If you feel like the question is foul or they are getting too personal, answer them in a professional way.

So here are the tips I can tell you guys on how to pass on Bureau of Immigration here in the Philippines if you are planning to on vacation in some Asian Countries that do not require a visa. So if you landed on this page because you're planning on travelling in the next few days and it's your first time, good luck. I know you can do it. If you were offloaded before, don't think it's a hopeless case for you. Try it again. Tell me your story here, leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or stories you want to share, please leave a comment here. I'd love to hear from you and respond to you as soon as possible. You may also follow me on twitter, I follow back :)
So there you go! Hope this helps.
To God, to God, to God be the glory. :)

20 comments:

  1. Hi. I am going to go to Taiwan and it will be my first abroad trip. Plus, I am a solo traveller. Is it possible for me to get offloaded? Also, I don't have bank statement proof. I am quite nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, we were also offloaded last MArch 21, 2019. We brought all the documents (Roundtrip tickets, itinerary with hotel bookings, coe, ID and leave form) Still the immigration officer insisted that we will go to Dubai or Bahrain to get a job. That we were already resigned from the company. what to do?
    please help thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi how many months to booked again after being offload ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was offloaded too. I dont know how many months again i can travel back abroad

      Delete
  4. Hello. I was being offloaded last April 13,2019 because the BI officer told me that I'm still young (22 yrs old) to travel and it was my first time. Since I really want to travel to Thailand to experience their Songkran but the BI officer won't let me travel even though I have my complete documents. So, I am planning to travel again to one of the Asian Countries together with my Auntie. Do I have a chance to pass the IOs? How many months should I wait to travel again after I was being offloaded? Thank you for your answer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ate nasagot po ba itong tanong niyo? Kasi ganyan din po gusto ko gawin

      Delete
  5. Hi mam na off load po kasi ako last july 11, 2019 bound to macau may invitation letter ako kaso kulang nag supporting docs like birth certificate coz mag kaibigan lang po kami the balak ko unalis this agu 19, 2019 possible po ba na maakalis na ako kasama ko po sister ko mag flight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello how many months before we booked again after being offloaded ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a year since na offload ako. Any suggestions to clear my offload record? I am ofw, I talked to IO before she said I need to comply all the requirements and submit to Main office, now I'm applying again to work abroad but I didn't tell my agency that I got offloaded before I'm afraid that they will not hire me. Currently processing all the documents needed and hoping that everything will be fine. Salamat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi boykape. Yesterday, I was bound to Kuala Lumpur and then to Ho Chi Minh (Vietnam). It was supposed to be my first time to travel. I am 22 years old. I supposed to have a connecting flight going there. My whole trip was sponsored. I was going to volunteer to teach english in a certain english center there for 7 days. But the BI Officer offloaded me. They said, I was going to work there. I showed them my letter of invitation from my sponsor. But they said, he wasn't fit to sponsor me since he wasn't a relative. I got confused because the person who sponsored me, also sponsored other people before. And they weren't offloaded. It was really frustrating. If I may ask, how many months does it take before my name will be cleared from the offloaded list? Thank you for your response.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was offloaded twice bound to Singapore.Is there any chances for me to go to this country?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was ooffloaded yesterday. How many months will i wait for me to try to travel again?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi mam .. i was offload on my first visa last july 3 and 7 2019 because my boyfriend and i did not meet me personally and the immigration said they are just prolonged me for human trafficking and I understand that and they give me a requirement that i need to comply so that i can go ..... then i get again my another visa and my boyfriend already visited me here in the Philippines for 3 weeks its is possible for me to go even i have a record and i need to comply the requirements of my first visa to my second visa.. i am waiting for ur reply .. thank u ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello po, na offload po ako this dec 12..tntakan po yung boarding pass ng compliance...natulala po ako kc d k inexpect nna maoffload ako kc okay nmn po ung req k.hnhbol k po ung oras ng flight at nanlumo po ako mtgl k po pnghorapan ipunin ung pera na ginastos k pr sa travel ko.Ang gnw k po ng p reprint po ako uli ng boarding pass at pumila po uli ako sa immig at same po d nla inallow mkaalis at pinagalitan po po ako nung IO na lalaki na ng interrogate sakin sa second inspection.Ang tanong ko po makakabiyahe prin po b ako khit my record na ako? balak ko po kc mgtravel this new year please hel po or advise ano po dpt k gawin

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was offloaded twice may chance paba ako makaalis?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi I was offload twice my chance ba makaalis.im going to Singapore for 7 days tourist.but they found out I have visa going Qatar anyone can helping me?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello po pano po nila na trace yung qatar visa nyo po?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was offloaded yesterday, because I cannot provide proper reason why I want to visit Singapore. The worse thing that I said to BI was I had a relative working in Singapore. But she's 5civil generation. Can I change my previous answers? Because it's fault from their original requirements. Can I apply again for another visit visa at the same month? Please help

    ReplyDelete
  17. In addition I had a previous visit history in Singapore. And may flight yesterday is not direct flight to Singapore..I had a connecting flight to Kuala Lumpur from their going to Singapore. How can I do to avoid offloaded again? Please help me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Good afternoon
      I was deported/Offload last March 05,2020 at the Naia terminal 3 going to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia , immigration officer gave me a list of requirements that I should be pass for me to travel . However, I don't have friends, family or relatives in malaysia.
      I'm getting confused . I have an auntie working as OFW in Hongkong and I'm trying to ask her to get the list of requirements to pass to the immigration. If I have those requirements of my auntie from hongkong can I able to travel in the other country like Malaysia,Taiwan or Vietnam? Or I can only travel where my auntie is?
      Please help me

      Delete